Monday, February 13, 2012

Kearny and thoughts about tracks


This time I was in San Diego and testing Kearny Moto Park's track. When I get to know more tracks I build up better image of that what kind of bmx I like most. BMX is always fun, but tracks makes huge differences to sport.

I can't judge Kearny's track, because it was soft after rain. Anyway I got the feeling that profile of Kearny's track was bit flat. When track is flat it means you have to pedal more. Like in track cycling. Track cycling track is flat so you have to pedal all the time..

When profile gets bigger, you need to have more speed to be able to use track for getting more speed and getting more joy. There have to be more space between big jumps than smaller ones. You have to go faster to avoid jumps turning out uphills. If that happens joy becomes sorrow. LOL, that line was probably from my thighs. Anyway that how it goes. When jumps are more distant, slower rider doesn't get the feeling of racing.


Objective goal would be having a track where is something for everyone. Big jumps for those who rides fast, but also very important would be functional lines for smaller and slower riders. It's totally different thing to practice manual if the target is getting one meter or 4 meters done. Specially this holds true when you are practicing to jump. Mostly it matters with feeling of riding, if I would have tryed my first time BMX on Copenhagen's track vs. at here, I would have got whole different feeling of it.

Copenhagen's track is top of the world at the moment. It's totally different speed what pros gets on it. But looking at the Olympic track for 2012 olympics, it's one step higher again. It's already bit extravagant. Track is absurb! It's awesome that someone can ride it, but what next? What is the top for elite riders? Or the safety of the sport?

This is only my little opinion about things. I haven't said it aloud earlier to avoid insulting anyone. I support these "small tracks". Riding these is fun. It feels like that tracks are joking with you. And I like those jokes!

No comments:

Post a Comment